Tuesday, May 5, 2015

May Breeze brings...88 degrees!?

Whew! It is Cinco de Mayo and it sure does feel like we're in Mexico...after a beautiful weekend of perfect 70 degree weather, we have jumped up to 88 degrees in just two days! I don't know about you, but I had a lot of sweaty, red-faced kids in my room today!


It is Spring Concert day here at Hoffman Boston and I am sitting here reflecting on the daytime performance while preparing for the nighttime performance in just an hour and a half! I will post more about our concert and our theme (America!), but today I'm more interested in talking about student focus now that we're getting towards the end of the school year.

I've been ruminating on this subject ever since my Montessori students left my classroom this afternoon. The timing of Montessori Specials is a little rough, at least in music, since it is directly after recess and right before their naptime. Since I have 3-5 year old Montessori students, it is an especially rough time for the younger ones. Don't get me wrong- these kids LOVE music- but actually getting them to commit joint attention when they are tired from recess and ready for a nap is almost impossible!


I do a ton of different activities to keep them focused on singing, moving, and making music for 35 minutes, but is really rough, especially on hot days like this one. I'm sure that you all have had, or are having, similar experiences. I'd love to know if you all have a calming or focusing activity that has really worked for you in this situation. Please leave your suggestion in the comments section! If I get several, I will compile them into one post and give you your credit!! :)

I appreciate all you readers, especially teachers this week! #TeacherAppreciationWeek

Stay cool!
~Ms. Patrician



No comments:

Post a Comment