Friday, March 6, 2015

Five for Friday 3/6/15

Hi again!

    I'm feeling more productive here on my 2nd snow day, so I figured that since I've been slacking, why not post twice today, since I want to participate in both linky parties?

So here's my 2nd: Five for Friday link-up with Doodle Bugs!


Here we go!


As most of you know, this past Monday was #ReadAcrossAmerica Day, or Dr. Seuss' Birthday! Our teachers were all ready to dress up for the occasion...then we had a Snow Day on Monday. We did have a make-up #ReadAcrossAmerica Day on Wednesday, though, and I dressed up as Cindy Lou Who from The Grinch Who Stole Christmas!

Due to delays and holidays and snow days, I have been seeing my Wednesday classes SO much more often than any others, so I decided to come up with a Dr. Seuss-inspired lesson for my 2nd grade class. I thought that they could create their own Seuss-y instruments! Since we are a STEM school, I had them use different materials- spoons, paper towel rolls, pipe cleaners, Easter eggs, etc.- to create a very different instrument and explain it to the class. Here are some examples of their finished products:



This Tuesday night we had our first Arlington county-wide #APSchats Twitter chat. It was SO successful- over 50 participants encompassing teachers, principals, ITCs, and even some people outside of our network! We discussed Digital Learning and got some great responses about successes, challenges, sharing, and next steps! We have decided to have the chats once a week and have secured a moderator for next week's chat already! I look forward to communicating regularly with teachers across the county and growing my PLN on a more local scale!




I am a mentor for my school's YES Club (Youth Experiencing Success) and we went on our first field trip on Wednesday- laser tagging! This is the second year that we have taken this trip and, since I never go on my own, I always forget how fun it is! The kids love it as well, and we had SUCH a blast! I wish I had taken more pictures, but here are a couple from the bus ride there:



We had a snow day on Monday and we didn't go in yesterday or today because of snow. Luckily for our snow day count, we had conferences these two days, so they don't add on and we have built in days left! However, I would have gotten to have a PD day with my APS music colleagues, which I always enjoy- we never get to see each other AND I missed out on being in my office to clean and get organized for the busy month ahead. Oh well- at least the snow outside was gorgeous yesterday!

I am excited to be on a panel next week with my Superintendent and our Communications director about social media in a school system! We will get to share our process and success, for me specifically with Twitter, with anyone who attends!

However, it falls on this year's Digital Learning Day, so I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to prep my sub (luckily a friend from high school has volunteered to come over before the day of and learn what I'd like to implement) to do some Digital Learning stuff with the students! Cross your fingers that I can get this done!

~Ms. Patrician

No comments:

Post a Comment