Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Test Prep Songs- 2015 Version

Good morning!

Well, it's almost here: state testing season! If you feel the same way that I do about tests, you'll understand that the exclamation point is meant to be sarcastic. This is a time where kids and teachers are stressed, worried, and altogether off their normal game. Specials classes are rough after mornings with long hours of testing, and it's usually beautiful outside- which makes it even harder for kids to be sitting at a computer desk clicking endless multiple choice questions.


Last year, my school decided to hold a pep rally for the 3rd-5th graders to cheer them on for the weeks of testing to come. Each primary grade level was paired with an upper grade level and the primary grades did activities such as make bracelets and write notes for the upper grade students. This all culminated in a K-5 pep rally where each primary grade sang a song to cheer on their paired grade level. Here is a post I wrote about that pep rally last year.


I was able to teach the pep rally songs for all the grade levels last year and lead them at the pep rally. This year, however, I will be at a wedding in the Outer Banks, so I wanted to distance myself from teaching and leading the songs because I will not be there the day of the rally. I did, however, rewrite some popular songs again and the grade levels are planning on teaching them and having the kids perform at the rally. Here are this year's songs:

Kindergarten is performing "All About That Test" for 3rd Grade, based on (duh) Meghan Trainor's All About That Bass


1st Grade is performing "We Want You to Know" for 4th Grade, based on Zedd and Selena Gomez's I Want You to Know


2nd Grade is performing "We Will Remember You" for 5th Grade, based on Fall Out Boy's Centuries


What are YOUR schools doing for state test prep? Any pep rallies in your area??
~Ms. Patrician

No comments:

Post a Comment