Friday, July 24, 2015

My Trip Out West

Hi everyone!

    I keep trying to motivate myself to write each week! Not that I'm busy or anything, I just tend to disconnect from school thoughts when I'm at home relaxing- and this blog reminds me of school! Just one month until we go back, which is crazy!

    In any case, I was lucky enough to go on a two and a half week trip right at the beginning of summer. Here's how it went:

  1. With friends, I flew to San Francisco and we spent 2 1/2 great days in the city- Giants Game, Golden Gate walk, Mission District, Alcatraz, and a great dinner with my high school chorus teacher, Jeff.
     Giants Stadium with Emily and Madeleine
     Golden Gate selfie
    Alcatraz Jail Cell selfie
  2. From SF we drove to Napa, where my roommate's very generous family put us up while we relaxed, hiked, ate incredible food, and, of course, visited wineries, including the family's new vineyard and an incredible tour through the caves of Schramsburg- awesome champagne.

     Jumping in the beautiful yard
    We found a rope swing on our hike!
    Gamble Family Vineyards
  3. After Napa, we drove down the Pacific Coastal Highway (beautiful, though sometimes terrifying), to Cambria, where one of my best friends from high school, David's, family was nice enough to lend us their beach house for a couple days. David and his wife Jess live in San Luis Obispo and were wonderful hosts- we spent the day exploring wineries and a wonderful olive oil place.
    Pacific Coastal Highway selfie!
    Heart Hill at Niner Winery with David and Jess
  4. From Cambria we drove all the way to Vegas. I can tell you quite certainly that I never need to do this drive again because it is booooring! The only highlight was seeing the last place James Dean stopped before he died (we also drove through the intersection where the accident was). Vegas, however, was super fun! My boyfriend and a few of our other friends met us there and we spent a fun weekend staying at Paris and exploring the city!

     With Brad (and John) in front of the "Eiffel Tower"
    Near the Venetian (note the statues behind us)
  5. On Sunday, my roommate and I drove from Vegas to a hotel near the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. We woke up at 3:45 AM on Monday to catch the 5:15 sunrise off the Bright Angel Trail. This was a big highlight of the trip!

    Emily and I with the cloudy sunrise in the background
  6. We spent Monday and Tuesday in beautiful Sedona, Arizona: home of many Red Rock formations. We did a Pink Jeep Tour- which is a must do if you go to Sedona- where we were able to explore the rocks with a guide. It was a very unique experience! We also ate Cactus Fries, Rattlesnake, and many different items using Prickly Pear Syrup.
     Pink Jeep Tour
     Ahh!!!
    Emily and I making an All Star (our school mascot)
  7. Wednesday and Thursday were spent in Mesa and Scottsdale, AZ, where we were able to visit some very good family friends of mine (one set is in the picture below, one is not) and explore the city before heading back to D.C. on Friday morning!
    Me with Kelsey and her daughter Mary

    So that is how my summer started out...what have you been doing the past month?? Any suggestions for where I should take a big trip next summer? I'm thinking overseas again...

    ~Ms. Patrician

No comments:

Post a Comment